Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kitty Crisis Day Two


The fliers we distributed had some response, but still no kitty has manifested.

Mostly people called to suggest to us that we check the humane society, as there is an infamous, though still semi-anonymous person in the area known for capturing stray cats in a live trap and taking them there. He's also been known to trap non stray cats as well, though, as evidenced by the number of neighbors who are pissed off at him for having to go get their cats out of hock. We'd already heard this rumor, though, and had actually gone right to the house of the alleged cat-trapper the night we found out about Avie being missing to ask if they might have her. The man's wife denied that they trapped cats at all and suggested that the large, wire-frame cage in their side yard was for carrying their beagles around. Some of the people who called asked us to phone them back if we are able to determine the identity of the trapper because they want to go over and have words with them. We don't know for sure that the people we talked to are the trappers, but other neighbors have confirmed that theirs is the house the trapping is getting done at. I don't really care about the trapping, so long as it nets my cat in the process and she gets returned to me, but there are quite a few people upset with them.

The major leads we had came from a person I met on the street while distributing fliers, who said she had seen a cat matching the description following a mother and child as they walked. Someone had asked the mother if it was her cat and she said no. This behavior at least matches Avie's to some degree, as she has been known to follow me and the dogs when we go on walks and once followed the whole family as we went walking around the neighborhood. Later, a man phoned to say he'd seen a similar sight and that the cat was last seen headed north on his street. At this news, I returned to his street and knocked on every door, passing out fliers to everyone and leaving them behind for those not at home.

When I returned home, there was another message from a lady who said she'd spotted the cat just down the street from our friend's house, lingering in a yard there. So the wife and I piled back in the car and drove across town to check this out. No cat--or, at least, not ours. This was, however, the same area in which I'd earlier met a lady I'd determined was probably crazy, but who had at least given me a sighting tip. I'd seen her on her porch, smoking a cigarette, and had walked up to give her a flier. She'd barely taken a look at it when she said, "Oh, yes. I saw this cat across the road the other day. She was running and playing and running and playing." The sing-song nature of her voice when saying "running and playing" made me certain she had never seen my cat. Not that Avie doesn't play, but she doesn't play to any degree that would fall under such a sing-song description.

No calls so far today.

As one of the comments for yesterday's post stated, it's not uncommon for cats to find their way home. As kids, my sister's cat (my former cat Winston's mother) used to disappear for months at a time only to show up at our door pregnant. She'd hang around us until she'd had her kittens. Once they were gone, she'd be off into the world again, no doubt with another family in another neighborhood. Then, months later, she'd turn up pregnant again. After the second litter, we got her fixed, after which we never saw her again. We always wondered if her other family ever tried to take her in to get her fixed only to be told the job had already been done.

One of that cat's kittens, my sister's cat Cleo, decided she didn't like my sister's new apartment and walked home. Granted, my parents lived less than a mile away as the cat walks, but the homing instinct was still not to be scoffed at.

And then, in college, one of my roommates brought one of his family cats from home into the house we were renting. The cat was miserable with us and was constantly trying to escape. He frequently escaped through a dryer vent hole in the laundry room floor, which we took to covering with heavier and heavier items, because he was very strong. Finally, he muscled his way around two full 24 can flats of Cokes and a tuba case and was gone for good. A week or so later, he turned up back at the roommate's parents' house across town.

We're hoping that Avie will have a similar homing instinct and will turn up at the back door in a week or so. She's got a good walk ahead of her, though, if she does, cause she disappeared clear across town and there's some pretty major traffic, including an Interstate between there and here.

Meanwhile, I have visited the humane society twice. They had posted the picture of my cat in their cat-housing room, so their staff can check it, but they took me back further into the building to show me a calico that had come in from this morning. I hoped and prayed all the way back that it would be mine, as one of the rumors I'd heard yesterday was that the cat-trapper had caught him another one and was planning to take it in today. It wasn't Avie, though. The humane society lady--who looks like she's worn to about a frazzle--told me I was welcome to look through the cats in their cat room to double check that Avie wasn't there. She wasn't but the plaintive meows from the cats who were there were enough to break your heart.

After leaving there, I spent an hour driving around in the neighborhood she disappeared in, calling her name. Not that the little beast has ever been seen to be active in daylight before, or anything, but she didn't come out of hiding if she was around at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up hope - my 14 yr old Sinda was gone for 4 days last time he pulled that.

Fingers crossed & prayer wheels spinning,

Mary Piero Carey