Friday, December 19, 2008

Actual Semi-Paraphrased Telephone Conversations Heard at My House #2

*RING*

ME-- Hello?

FEMALE CALLER-- Hello, is this Mr. Aaron?

ME-- Yes.

CALLER-- Hello, Mr. Aaron. I'm Cheryl, calling on behalf of the State Trooper's Association. How are you this evening?

ME-- I'm okay.

CALLER-- I'm just calling to let you know that your Thank You Packet will be in the mail to you very soon, as our way of saying thanks for your financial support of the Trooper's Association.

(I pause to consider whether the wife might have agreed to some such thing. Seems highly unlikely.)

ME-- Um... I wasn't aware that I was supporting the Trooper's Association.

CALLER-- I'm sorry?

ME-- I said, `I wasn't aware that I was supporting the State Trooper's Association.' I don't recall agreeing to any financial donations.

CALLER-- (Cheerfully) Well, I'm hoping you will right now.

(Pause)

ME-- Ahhhhhhhhh. Now I see what you're saying. Now I get it. I haven't actually agreed to any sort of financial support previously, but you phrased it like that to make it seem like I had anyway.

CALLER-- Um...

ME-- Unfortunately, Cheryl, we have a strict policy at my house to never accept telephone solicitation of any kind.

(Long pause)

CALLER-- Very well, Mr. Aaron. You have a good evening.

ME-- You have a good evening as well, Cheryl.

No comments: