Friday, August 14, 2009

Actual Telephone Conversations Heard in My Car #4 (a.k.a. "Violating Best Intentions Already")

The HOSS-3000 is in the shop. I haven't heard the diagnosis yet, but I suspect it's CPU may have a terminal condition that may or may not be related to its liquid-cooling system being low on coolant. We'll see. Fortunately, the wife has a laptop.

While dropping HOSS off at the repair place, my cell phone rang. It was the wife. I called her back and noted that her voice sounded very sad, bordering on tears. It was exactly the tone one might expect from someone who's just been phoned and given news of the death of a beloved relative and is now passing on that news. I braced for the worst.

THE WIFE-- I have bad news.

ME-- Okay.

THE WIFE-- (Practically choking back tears) They brought in Indian food today.

ME-- Shit. I thought you were about to tell me REALLY bad news.

THE WIFE-- It is! I want some!

ME-- So eat some Indian food. It'll be okay.

THE WIFE-- You want some, too?

ME-- (Pausing to consider for approximately .2 seconds) Well, I am in the neighborhood.

THE WIFE-- See you in a sec.

No comments: